Get ready for the Kentucky Derby 2023 with this classic finger food! Our Benedictine spread recipe is a staple at Derby parties, combining cream cheese and cucumbers for a fresh and delicious spread perfect for afternoon teas, garden parties, and Derby buffets. Make this simple yet flavorful dish for your Kentucky Derby celebration and create delicious finger foods.
This versatile Benedictine spread can be used in a variety of ways to create delicious gluten-free appetizers. Try spreading it on gluten-free crackers for a simple and tasty snack, or use it as a filling for gluten-free mini cucumber sandwiches. You can also mix it with chopped herbs and spices to create a unique and flavorful dip for gluten-free veggies. Whether you’re hosting a Kentucky Derby party or a casual gathering with friends, this gluten-free Benedictine spread is a must-have for any spread of appetizers.
You’ll want to make this delicious spread a day ahead to allow the flavors to meld, but don’t assemble the sandwiches until the day of the party to avoid soggy bread. (A very light coat of butter on the bread before the Benedictine spread will help keep your sandwiches from getting soggy.)
Cut your bread into horseshoe shapes to stay on theme for a Derby Party. These delicious little finger foods will disappear fast at a bridal shower or baby shower.
This creamy cucumber spread is a hit at spring weddings, engagement parties, and summer barbecues. The fresh flavor and versatility make it a popular choice for events of all sizes. Double the recipe for a larger crowd or make it gluten-free for guests with dietary restrictions.
Kentucky Derby Benedictine Spread
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese softened
- 1 TBSP mayonaise
- 2 TBSP grated onions very finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the cucumber. On a large box grater, grate on the larger side, the peeled cucumber, and place into a small bowl.
- Grate on the small side of the box grater a peeled onion, enough to make the 2 Tablespoons.
- Place the cream cheese, mayonaise, black pepper, and salt into a stand mixer bowl, fitted with the paddles attachment.
- Beat on medium until the cream cheese mixer is light and no clumps remain.
- Add the onions and cucumber to the bowl with the cream cheese and beat on low for 1 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and hand stir until well combined. Don't overmix.