Just in time to make some handmade Christmas gifts, or to make your own custom house cocktail, these Boozy Bourbon Cherries are easy. These would also make lovely thank you gifts for your bridesmaids, groomsmen or wedding guest or holiday hostess…maybe sweeten up your future mother-in-law (not to mention look like June Cleaver), or just have on hand to spoon over vanilla ice cream.
I am an unapologetic bourbon fan. I am also a celiac. So what you ask? That means I have to be careful my bourbon is gluten free, and Makers Mark is my go-to bourbon. You can use your favorite in this recipe.
I’ll cut to the chase, because it’s busy enough this time of year you don’t need me to blather on about bourbon…because it speaks for itself 🙂
You can process the jars when finished for 10 minutes if you want to make them shelf stable, but they will keep in the refridgerator as well without processing.
Boozy Bourbon Cherries:
- 2 cups of bourbon I used Marker’s Mark because it’s gluten free!
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar I used India Tree Dark Muscovado Sugar, as it has a rich molasses flavor
- 3 cups of sugar I used organic cane sugar
- 2 star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp of mulling spices optiona(I used India Tree Mulling Spices
- 3 lbs of frozen pitted dark cherries I used Trader Joe’s brand
- You will need 6 – 16 oz jars for canning.
- Defrost cherries in a bowl, with liquid. Clean and sterilize 6 ball (use can use your dishwasher here and use heated dry!)
- Bring the bourbon, sugars, anise, cinnamon sticks and mulling spices to a boil in a large stockpot, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer about 15 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cherries and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- If you plan to process the jars, start bringing your water to a boil.
- Once the cherries have simmered, using a canning funnel, fill the jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Refridgerate once cooled IF you are not going to process them.
I tied mine with bakers twine and placed my Boozy Bourbon Cherries gift tag to the lid.
Voila! You look like June Clever.
I had NEVER processed canning before, and mine came out ok…yay! Don’t sweat that though if you are so daring. There is enough bourbon and sugar in these to last a month if safely refrigerated!
If you don’t have an Amazon Prime Membership, and you wish to start one to purchase the items I’ve used above, CLICK HERE to sign up!